Brtnice Chateau

A Renaissance chateau was built on the site of an originally Gothic castle in the 13th century and served as a representative Wallenstein residence.

Contact

Zámek 1
58832 Brtnice
region Jihlava
49.306339, 15.674167Map
Period: summer

The Renaissance arcades are a magnificent structural element and are attributed to an Italian master. After the Battle of White Mountain, the domain passed to the Collalto family, who held it until 1945. Under their possession, the Entrance Hall was decorated with paintings by Karel František Töpper; they depict Imperial visits received by the Collaltos at the chateau. Due to lengthy legal disputes concerning ownership in the late 20th century, the chateau became dilapidated. An important role in its rescue was played by the town of Brtnice, which provided essential maintenance during times of uncertainty. Today, a final decision has finally been made regarding ownership and the private owner intends to continue with restoring the chateau and its grounds. The chateau is open to the public during the summer season.

 

Foto: OKPPCR Kraje Vysočina