The Premonstratensian Monastery in Nová Říše

A Premonstratensian convent was founded by Markvart of Hrádek and his wife Vojslava in 1211 for the Norbertine Sisters (Premonstratensian Sisters), but when the last female inhabitant died after the end of the Hussite wars, it was changed into a monastery.


Kanonie premonstrátů v Nové Říši
U Kláštera 1
58865 Nová Říše
region Jihlava
49.139427, 15.564880Map
Period: summer

Its Baroque appearance was created during the 18th century, when it flourished the most, both economically and culturally. A corridor connects the monastery to the Church of St. Peter and Paul from the second half of the 17th century, which is filled with preserved painted decorations and valuable furniture.

The church used to be a place of meditation for the famous poet and local teacher Otokar Březina. A rare object found in the monastery is its library with more than 20,000 volumes. It also includes four rare volumes of an 18th century herbarium, which inspired the local Nová Říše pottery. Troubled times for the monastery occurred between 1942 and 1989, hen it was first occupied by SS units and turned into a Hitler Youth seat and then later used as a military warehouse.

The Premonstratensian monks returned to the monastery in 1991 and initiated necessary repairs. During the summer season, valuable historical parts of the monastery can be accessed by visitors. The monastery houses the Memorial to Brothers Pavel and Antonín Vranický, 18th-century composers and friends of Mozart, Beethoven and Haydn.

Foto: archiv Vysočina Tourism, Josef Manďák